Warning, hell is on the verge of freezing over. Why? Because… (brace yourselves) …we are thinking about getting a dog. A DOG (Did I really just say that and MEAN it??) Now just pick your jaw back up off the floor and understand that I am just as bewildered as you are. I’m a Bain, right? And Bains – in general – are NOT animal people. (Except for my Dad, who long ago even wanted to be a vet when he grew up. What family is HE from??)
But alas, Jake just got a new job – his first post-college-graduation career-starting REAL JOB – and this job strongly encourages that he have a pet. So in the name of Jake taking over the role of “breadwinner” in our family, I have more-or-less said OK to a dog. Family, please do not disown me.
This decision, however, comes with conditions. I only want a dog that doesn’t shed, doesn’t bark, doesn’t smell, doesn’t poop, doesn’t lick my face, doesn’t have germs, and it will NOT be in our family Christmas picture. So if you know of a small dog that fits that description, let me know.
And as for a name, this was Jake’s attempt to build his case in favor of naming a dog “Capone”:
“Melissa, you’re from the Bay Area, right? And in the Bay Area, there’s not only dogs, but also D-O-double-G’s. You know, like Snoop Dogg. And Al Capone, one of the greatest criminals/doggs of all time, was incarcerated at Alcatraz in the San Francisco Bay. So, naming a dog “Capone” is like an homage to your childhood hometown.”
Yes, I cut my own bangs.
No, I didn’t mean to make them this short.
Yes, I’m OK with how they look.
No, this was not pre-meditated. It was VERY spur-of-the-moment, with VERY permanent consequences.
Yes, Jake was momentarily speachless, but I think deep down, he thinks they’re hot.
Lesson learned: Cutting your own hair is terrifying yet exhilirating.
Note to self: You never feel like more of a dork than when you post a picture of only yourself…
I love reading my friends’ “100 Things About Me” lists and I have wanted to do my own, but 100 items seems a little overwhelming. So overwhelming, in fact, that instead of starting on it and getting only part-way through it, I’d rather ignore the urge altogether. (This is NOT unlike the mountainous pile of laundry on the guest bed, waiting to be folded… I won’t tell you how long it’s been there.) My solution: post only 10 things at a time. Hopefully this will lead to more frequent but shorter posts… Enjoy!
- Very appropriate at #1 on this list, I LOVE making lists. Just ask Jake – they’re all over the house. Grocery lists, to-do lists, movies to see, things to purchase, chores, home improvement projects, favorite baby names (this is NOT any sort of announcement – I’ve been doing this for years), restaurants to go to, lists of the lists I need to make, you name it. I’m addicted. Somebody please help me.
- I’m cursed when it comes to ordering at restaurants. No matter what, Jake’s food is ALWAYS better. Good thing he loves sharing… (NOT TRUE, but he’s getting used to it!)
- The sound of rubbing napkins together has the same goosebumpy effect on me as fingernails on a chalkboard. I am even cringing right now just writing about it.
- I’m a sucker for Hollywood red-carpet fashion – I could look at best/worst-dressed lists all day long.
- I’m also a sucker for the tabloids. I admit, often I’ll pick the longest line at the grocery store just so I can have a few minutes see what Carrie Underwood is wearing, read about Britney’s latest disaster, who’s kissing who and who’s having babies. Guilty pleasure, I KNOW, but I can’t help it! For the record, though, I never BUY tabloids – I don’t believe in financially supporting the paparazzi…
- I love love love babies – the way they smell, their soft skin, the noises they make, holding them, their smiles…
- I get teary-eyed almost every time I watch “Jon & Kate Plus Ei8ht” on TLC (show about a family who has twins (7 yrs old) AND SEXTUPLETS (4 yrs old)). They are so blasted CUTE I can’t hardly stand it.
- I’m a Food Network junkie. Somehow I keep telling myself that watching cooking shows makes me a better cook.
- I have tons of recipe books, but I hardly EVER use them. And I won’t buy a recipe book without pictures on almost every page.
- In general, I don’t like cake. However, sometimes I’ll eat it to be a good sport. And sometimes it actually tastes a little bit good (ice cream cake, dutch oven pineapple upside-down cake). But just a little bit.